Scripture Reading (Book of Mormon)
Our conversion comes
step-by-step, line upon line. We first build a foundation of faith in the Lord
Jesus Christ. We treasure the principles and ordinances of repentance, baptism,
and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We include a continuing commitment to prayer, a willingness to be obedient, and
an ongoing witness of the Book of Mormon. (The Book of Mormon is powerful spiritual nourishment.)
-Neil L Andersen October 2008, You Know Enough
When you read the Book of
Mormon, concentrate on the principal figure in the book—from its
first chapter to the last—the Lord Jesus Christ,
Son of the Living God. And
look for a second undergirding theme: God will keep His covenants with the
remnants of the house of Israel. The Book of Mormon is a crucial component of that covenant.
-Russell M Nelson, October 1999, A Testimony of the Book of Mormon
The divine teachings of this book, as a third
testament, clarify doctrine and unify the Old Testament with the New Testament.
Scriptural covenants, testaments, and
witnesses since the beginning
of time relate to the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the central act of all human
history.
-Russell M Nelson, October 1999, A Testimony of the Book of Mormon
Now it is up to us to study the Book of
Mormon and learn of its principles and apply them in our lives.
-L Tom Perry, October 2005, Blessings Resulting from Reading the Book of
Mormon
When I understood that the Holy Ghost could
communicate through our feelings, I understood why the words of Christ, whether
from the New Testament or the Book of Mormon or the other scriptures, carried
such a good feeling. In time, I found that the scriptures had answers to things
I needed to know.
-Boyd K Packer, April 2005, The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of
Jesus Christ-Plain and Precious Things
Some insights came after reading a second,
even a third time and seemed to be “likened” to what I faced in everyday life.
-Boyd K Packer, April 2005, The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of
Jesus Christ-Plain and Precious Things
Again and again the Book of Mormon teaches
that the gospel of Jesus Christ is universal in its promise and effect,
reaching out to all who ever live on the earth.
-Dallin H Oaks, April 2006, All Men Everywhere
Your copy of the Book of Mormon may be hidden
from your view by cares and attention to all you have accumulated in your
journey. I plead with you to drink deeply and often from its pages. It has in
it the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the only way home to God.
-Henry B Eyring, October 2011, A Witness
Neither the Bible nor the Book of Mormon in
and of themselves is sufficient. Both are necessary for us to teach and learn
about the full and complete doctrine of Christ. The need for the other does not
diminish either one of them. Both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are necessary
for our salvation and exaltation. As President Ezra Taft Benson so powerfully
taught, “When used together, the Bible and the Book of Mormon confound false
doctrines”
-L Tom Perry, April 2012, The Power of Deliverance
Love. Healing. Help. Hope. The power of Christ to counter all troubles in all
times—including the end of times. That is the safe harbor God wants for us in
personal or public days of despair. That is the message with which the Book of
Mormon begins, and that is the message with which it ends, calling all to “come
unto Christ, and be perfected in him.”
-Jeffrey R Holland, October 2009, Safety for the Soul
I have read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover, and I know that when I read my life was blessed, I felt peace and happiness and felt more confidence different from any I have felt at any other time. I truly did feel closest to the Lord while I was reading it. The Book of Mormon afforded me greater spiritual strength than what I had previously known. I love the Bible and making cross references from one book to another, the two do not conflict. I am poor in the ability to recite scriptural references and page numbers, but I know that the concepts and principles taught in each are correct and lead to ultimate happiness.
Prayer:
...Our Heavenly Father is aware
of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. I believe
that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the
details of our lives."
- President Thomas S. Monson, October 2012, Consider the Blessings
Spiritual light is not lost because God turns His back on His children. Rather, spiritual darkness results when His children turn their collective backs on Him. It is a natural consequence of bad choices made by individuals, communities, countries, and entire civilizations. This has been proven again and again throughout the course of time.
-M Russell Ballard April 2009
The fact that I was
forced to turn to God for help almost daily over an extended period of years
taught me truly how to pray and get answers to prayer and taught me in a very
practical way to have faith in God.
-Neil L. Andersen Jan
2011, Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread
As I prayed, the
feeling came: “You don’t know everything, but you know enough!” That
reassurance gave me the courage to take the next step into the mission field.
-Neil L Andersen
October 2008, You Know Enough
Asking in faith requires honesty, effort, commitment, and persistence.
-David A Bednar April
2008, Ask in Faith
Pray without ceasing. Ask for angels to help you.
-Jeffrey R Holland
April 2010, Place no more for the Enemy of my Soul
If you and I would truly pray and ask in faith, as did Joseph Smith—if we would pray with the expectation to act and not just to express—then the work of proclaiming the gospel would move forward in a remarkable way.
-David A Bednar April 2008, Ask in
Faith
The law of the harvest offers a pattern for making decisions. Prepare the soil through prayer, knowing that you are a son of God.
- Robert D Hales April 2007, To the Aaronic
Priesthood: preparing for the decade of decision
Impressions of the Spirit can come in
response to urgent prayer or unsolicited when needed. Sometimes the Lord
reveals truth to you when you are not actively seeking it, such as when you are
in danger and do not know it.
-Richard G Scott October 2009, To Acquire Spiritual Guidance
No earthly authority
can separate us from direct access to our Creator. There can never be a
mechanical or electronic failure when we pray. There is no limit on the number
of times or how long we can pray each day. There is no quota of how many needs
we wish to pray for in each prayer. We do not need to go through secretaries or
make an appointment to reach the throne of grace. He is reachable at any time
and any place.
-James E Faust, April
2002, The Lifeline of Prayer
"I know not by what method rare, but I do know this, that God hears prayer" is a quote given by a Bronte sister, I believe, but I'm not certain. That is exactly how I feel. I don't know how it works, but I know that it does. Even in times of sadness, or isolation, especially in those times, God hears the song of our heart. "We are not spiritual orphans" God is not like a watchmaker, He is ever present and interested in our lives and awaits anxiously for us to communicate with Him through the power of prayer - it truly is that - a power.
No comments:
Post a Comment