It was during lunch service. At a time of day where we did not have very many customers, I came in through the patio door, and almost ran into this couple who were getting ready to leave. The man seemed pleased to have someone to talk to, which he did immediately upon seeing me.
He asked, "do you remember the pet rock? I have something will be the NEW pet rock! (seeing my bewildered expression) Don't you remember the pet rock? My! I feel old! This is going to be the new pet rock, you want to know what it is? It's called a pet nut." This man just keeps rambling about his new pet rock and this nut. Then he asks for one of the other staff to come over so he can show us how his great invention works.
After my friend, Charlotte, comes over to where we were standing, he starts rambling about how this pet nut "will bring joy and satisfaction into the lives of everyone" repeating the phrase "joy and satisfaction" over and over.
He takes out two acorns from his pocket.
His wife, embarrassed tells him to stop and walks away, waiting at the host stand for him to join her. (I think he's done this before).
Charlotte and I utter a slight chuckle at the sight of these acorns.
The man and Charlotte discuss how to crack open an acorn, Charlotte saying her teeth cannot crack an acorn.
With a final exclamation about how these will bring "joy and satisfaction" into the world, he smashes the acorn onto the stone half wall, leaving his hand over the smashed pine by-product for a minute or so before revealing the apex of his joke.
Amid the shells of acorn was a black rubber object, which I first assumed to be a balloon.
Charlotte and I bust up laughing. I manage to ask him what exactly it was. It was his turn to express bewilderment and laughter. He said "the girls down in Hurricane would not need to ask what that was - didn't you do the banana trick in high school?".
That thing was larger than what would cover a banana... there is no way.... there is no way.
I was embarrassed, but I couldn't help but laugh. So awkward.
No comments:
Post a Comment