Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How I Met Bill Walton

He is still the only High School basketball player to join the USA Senior Men's National team and/or Olympics. Basically his skills are amazing, and he is a pro. And he passed on his ballin' genes to his son, who is also winning NBA championships left and right, making them the only father/son pair to do so.
He was named one of the top 50 sportscasters in 2009. And is currently a chairman of Connect SD Sports Innovators.

Bill Walton is a big deal.
And he came to the restaurant and I got to bus his table - twice - for two meals.
One afternoon, after fixing my bike again (see previous post) I decided to go up canyon just for fun, just for a short distance. I didn't plan on riding at all, so I was wearing my jeans and a tee-shirt, and I don't even own a helmet, so forget that!
The next time I worked, Bill Walton was sitting in my section and asked if I was riding my bike yesterday. I owned that I had in fact been riding my bike. And he further identified me by my pink tee-shirt and jeans. Then he told me, "You need to wear a helmet". I did not appreciate the advice, but I did appreciate his concern, I responded politely with, "yea I should". Then he apologized and said it was his fatherly side coming out.
Aww, that's sweet.
(That photo is from sports illustrated)
You guys don't even understand how tall this guy is (6ft 11in actually). For every meal, he brought in his own director's chair, basically, because he is too tall to sit comfortably in the average dining room chair. Poor fella. Tough life.


P.S.
I didn't even know who he was until he came, and some of the staff were freaking out. Here's his Wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walton
That's how I got his stats. And nobody got a picture with him, so don't even ask why I didn't!

1 comment:

  1. The first day he came, was the day that I let Scottie talk me into doing expo, which is emptying trays that the bussers bring in, onto the dish pit. And he told me to go out and see him, because it's not every day you get to see a celebrity. Yup, Scottie was indeed the most excited.

    ReplyDelete